Monday, January 18, 2010

Notice the Fancy New Fonts?

After a bit of research into the matter last night (really, early this morning), I found that kernest.com offers many free fonts available for web use. And one of them is a version of my personal favorite for text, Goudy Old Style. It's not as nice as some versions out there, noticeably lacking the graceful curve along the base of the capital E and L, and the well-defined diamond shape of the dot on the i and j, as well as the separate Goudy Old Style Bold.

But it's quite nice for free, and does include Goudy Old Style Italic, not just an oblique version of the regular. I'm thinking of finding something different to use for the headlines, but that'll be a bit later. Anyways, I've put a colophon over at the right as a permanent note on such matters, for those who might also be typography geeks like me.

2 comments:

  1. Mill Sorts looks great here. Perhaps something from the Aurelis, Berenis or Libris families as a compliment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took your suggestion of Libris for the titles. Thanks, I still need to figure out how to get Blogger to adjust the sizes so it looks better, but I think you're right that it's a good complement to the Goudy.

    ReplyDelete